Kauai has been steadily getting more and more publicity, especially recently, which is not surprising to those that live on the island, or even to those that have visited. It's a place you just don't forget about. Why? Because of the beauty, the sights, and the feeling you get when you're here.
A gorgeous morning sunrise in Kapaa
Kauai was recently mentioned in a Huffington Post article, which stated that Kapaa, Kauai was one of the most underrated cities in the United States. Hard to believe, but then...not really, there are plenty of other towns on Kauai that have gotten most of the attention - until now.
Kapaa is a great place to live in or visit. It has a small town feel, with a population of around 10,000. You can find great restaurants, beaches, and fun island activities here, like hiking and golfing. One of the best places to stay when visiting Kapaa is at the Waipouli Beach Resort, a beachfront luxury resort with one of the best pools on the island.
The luxurious Waipouli Beach Resort in Kapaa
Fun Activities in Kapaa
One of the things that makes Kapaa so great is that it has plenty of activities to offer, including family friendly hiking trails, great beaches, and fun community events. Fun Kapaa activities include:
1. The Kapaa Bike Path is a recent addition to the town, and is currently still a work in progress. It is a scenic oceanfront path that runs throughout all of Kapaa, taking you past several east side beaches as well as great places to eat. There are presently 7-8 completed miles of the path that is open to the public and free to use. It's a great place for a morning run, or to bring the kids. Stop at the beaches and restaurants along the way for a full day of fun and a great, inexpensive way to explore Kauai's Coconut Coast.
The bike path is a great place for the whole family!
2. East Kauai Beaches. While Kauai has several well known beaches, like Hanalei Bay and Poipu Beach, Kapaa offers some less known (which means less crowded) beaches to relax at. You can find all of them by venturing along the bike path. They're great beaches any time of the year to bring the whole family to. There are some gorgeous beaches along the Coconut Coast
Recommended Kapaa beaches include:
- Kealia Beach - a sunny beach at the north end of Kapaa town
- Fuji Beach aka Baby Beach - a great beach for babies and small children
- Waipouli Beach - a beautiful little beach that's often empty
- Lydgate Beach Park - a great beach park that has a fun playground
3. Kapaa Art Walk. This is a free event that takes place on the first Saturday of every month. Walk the streets of Downtown Kapaa where local artists and vendors have set up booths, and enjoy delicious food, find unique Kauai-made products, and listen to some lively music. This event starts at 5:00 PM, is free to attend, and goes on for several hours. It's a great place to meet people and have a good time.
Visit Downtown Kapaa on the first Saturday of the month to attend the Kapaa Art Walk
4. Eclectic Restaurants. When exploring Kapaa, don't forget to check out all of the great restaurants. There are plenty to choose from, everything from great Kauai food trucks to fine Kauai sushi restaurants. There's also a great Kapaa restaurant that recently opened called The Beachwalk serving up some delicious food at reasonable prices. They are a second-story restaurant open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner and have one of the best views for a Kapaa restaurant. They're located right off of the bike path and have a grassy oceanfront lawn for the kids to play in either before you eat or after. We highly recommend you try the poke nachos. They're addictively good, the perfect portion size for two, and only $11. Great views and great food from The Beachwalk restaurant in Kapaa
Visiting One of America's Prettiest Towns to Travel to
Kapaa may be considered underrated to some, but for those that have explored the area and know what the town has to offer, that's not such a bad thing...it just means more for us to enjoy. And if you're still questioning it, it might help to know that Kapaa was listed by Forbes as one of America's prettiest towns to travel to. Come discover Kapaa and see for yourself how charming it really is.